The Lake McDonald Lodge Historic District comprises the Lake McDonald Lodge and surrounding structures on the shores of Lake McDonald in the western portion of Glacier National Park in the U.S. state of Montana. It is centered on the main lodge, which was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1987, as well as surrounding guest cabins, dormitory buildings, employee residences, utility buildings and retail structures. The district includes several privately owned inholding structures that are considered contributing structures, as well as a number of non-contributing buildings.FeaturesThe Lake McDonald Lodge was built in 1913-1914 by John Lewis as the Lewis Glacier Hotel to replace an earlier structure, the Snyder Hotel. The prominent site on the lakeshore was developed as the major tourist accommodation on the west side of the park. In addition to the rustic Swiss chalet-styled lodge building there are a number of structures built during the early 20th century, including eleven log cabins built in 1907 near the lodge and two more built in 1918. Other buildings in the historic district include the Garden Court, a two-story frame dormitory built in 1927. The two-story frame Cobb House dormitory features rustic interior detailing and a stone fireplace. The log Snyder Hall was built in 1911 as an assembly hall and was converted to a dormitory. The log Soda Fountain, built in 1927, became a recreation hall for employees. Other buildings include the 1909 frame barbershop, a 1922 log caretaker's residence and a 1922 frame lumber shed. The 1935 McDonald Cabin is a former private residence, built in rustic log construction. The General Store is a chalet-style structure near the main road, built about 1937. The district also includes a 1934 stone bridge over Snyder Creek and six log private residences.
Reviews, get directions and information