Manhattan Transfer was a passenger transfer station in Harrison, New Jersey, east of Newark, 8.8mi west of New York Penn Station on the Pennsylvania Railroad (PRR) main line, now Amtrak's Northeast Corridor. It operated from 1910 to 1937 and consisted of two 1100ft car-floor-level platforms, one on each side of the PRR line. It was also served by the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad. The only access to the station was by train; no local access was provided.HistoryUntil 1910 none of the railroads that crossed New Jersey to reach New York City crossed the Hudson River, but had terminals on the Hudson Waterfront, where passengers boarded ferries. The dominant Pennsylvania Railroad was no exception; its passenger trains ran to Exchange Place in Jersey City.On November 27, 1910, the PRR opened a new line, the New York Tunnel Extension, that branched off the original line two miles east of Newark. The line ran northeast across the Jersey Meadows to a pair of tunnels under the Hudson River to New York Penn Station. Along with the new line, they built Manhattan Transfer station just to the west of the junction. Passenger trains bound for New York Penn changed at Manhattan Transfer from steam locomotives to electric locomotives to run through the tunnel under the river.
Reviews, get directions and information